Yesterday, I had the great honor...privilege...pleasure...opportunity (you choose the word!) to coordinate the ceremony and reception of a serviceman and his bride - Staff Sgt. Patrick Zeigler and his wife Jessica. Many of you may know the inspirational story of the Fort Hood survivor and his amazing wife. This is a real couple, and this was a real wedding!
Jessica called me the day before the wedding to see if I would be willing to be their day-of-coordinator. I was not only willing, I was thrilled! It's not an everyday opportunity to thank, or for that matter, serve someone in the military, their spouse and their family in return for all that they do. While I don't know every detail about the couple or their story (not many can, I'm sure), it was easy to pick up on a few things - what they mean to each other, their family, and their friends. With only spending 24+ hours with the bride and groom, I can tell you they represent the meaning of marriage - determination, commitment, selflessness and thankfulness.
Jessica and Patrick had a small, beautiful ceremony at the Plummer House in the lower garden and then celebrated their reception at the Rochester Art Center. This was a wedding that completely showed who they are and what they love! The bold navy and eggplant, bright green and accents of gold and peacock feathers represented the bride's rich personality. They were surrounded by supportive and loving family and friends. They served Mai Tais as their specialty drink and had friends from Hawaii sing and play guitar (they were amazing!). The groom lived in Hawaii for several years as his dad was stationed there, and Hawaii is where the couple met! One of the most unique details was the memorial table mixed among all the other tables at the reception. It was set with complete place settings and draped in a sheer gold overlay. The purpose of this special table was not only to remember their dear friends and family members lost, but to also remember those currently serving our country. Patrick said a few heart felt words after cutting the cake, reminding everyone of those currently serving in our military and why they serve - Love and Freedom.
Many of us were more than happy to support this couple and to symbolize support of our servicemen, women and veterans. What an honor. What a great way to say thank you! All vendors included: Le Jardin European Style Floral who also provided the linens, Sassani Photography (Ben came all the way from Houston, TX! To view his photos from their first wedding, click here.) Canadian Honker the caterer, Brad O'Conner Photography supplied the photo booth, Hy-Vee provided the cake, Seize the Moment Entertainment was the DJ, and live music was provided by Mr. and Mrs. Randy Allen from Hawaii.
I hope to post photos soon, so check back often. But for a sneak peak, you can watch this video clip from local KAAL News Ch. 6.
I truly believe every couple has a love story, but this is a story I will never forget!
(I didn't feel right telling the bits and pieces of their story that I know, so here are a few links if you'd like to read more about Jessica and Patrick: About the Couple, Extreme Home Make Over.)
Sunday, July 10, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Small world! I worked with the bride's dad (Bill) at RE/MAX while all this was going on! He is the nicest guy in the world! I am so glad you could help out the family on the big day!
ReplyDeleteWow! What an amazing story, Anne. Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDelete